Monday, March 29

intermezzo

As it feels like a bit of SAD is looming, I started considering marketing my tensegrity hobby a bit more, got myself busy building more models and taking some photos. First step will be to get accepted for a stall at an arts market, and then I hope hours of haggling will follow. Naming the sculptures provided quite some fun, let's see what happens next.


Concept X (Simple X-module)

Scarab (Icosahedron with two two tensuls)

Scarab

Crossed Over

North Tower (Three tensuls)

South Tower (Three tensuls)

Evil Twins (Two joined stellated tetrahedrons)

Spherical Hysterical (Thirty strut frequency 2 sphere)

Hope (stellated tetrahedron)

Amarita (stellated tetrahedron)

Victory

Peghead (Tensul joined with icosahedron)
(
21st Century (stellated tetrahedron with kite frame joined)

Monsternsegrity (5 X-modules held up by two tensuls)


2 comments:

Tensegrity Wiki said...

Great work, Winston! Can describe the high-level structure of each one (like, 6-strut icosa + 4 strut tet)? Let me know, I will add more details to the Wiki - http://TensegrityWiki.com

Winston Smith said...

Good idea to add some information to the pictures, helps me as well to organise the information I gained while building these structures.

X-modules are named in your wiki 4-strut tensegrity, if I'm not wrong. When joined together in a 'mininal' fashion, the structure can't stand by itself, but can hang nicely straight down. I build a kind of switch with a series of x-modules and some additional tensors, once I found out more about its properties I will describe it some more.

The 6-strut tensegrities without more info (Crossed Over and Victory) are 6-strut tensegrities which are inspired (ripped off?) from Snelson's overview of 6 strut tensegrities, my attempt to rebuild the 'Olive' model.

Feel free to use any picture of tensegrities on this site for the wiki. I like the variety of written material you collected, I just missed more images/graphics.