Tuesday, March 2

Surprise

I had a great turn with Jane, who gave me the opportunity to put hand on her. By doing less, I managed to get her easily in and out of the chair, although I had to inhibit my surprise over the ways we were moving. All that ease remains hard to grasp, yet I could clearly notice the change in thinking when working with her.

Before I had a chance to catch with the reading for today, David asked me to give Jeanine a table turn. She's looking for a school to become AT teacher, a graduated contact juggler and circus skill teacher expanding her toolkit. I managed to lengthen her a bit on the table, and her rotary cuffs released a bit, yet her use looks impressive already, and her observation skills stunned me as well.

I had little clue about her background while working with her, when she had a look at my CJing she came up straight away with real useful tips and observations.

So much I'd like to write more, my computer reacts currently much slower than a serially connected real VT100 terminal. So kann ich net arbeite! Time to order new hardware, before the wait drives me mad.

A restart alleviated the tardy behaviour, yet the order is out, in a day or two I have my new hardware. I hope the increased working speed will allow me to balance my screen work with building more tensegrity models. Rossi asked me whether she could buy one of the models from my workshop. I think I will raise the prize from today's offer to a coffee with company, it's still a fair deal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been finding tensegrity posts through filtrbox (who is ending its free service).

Excellent post and super workshop, Winston. I don't know if your students realize how lucky they are to have someone like you around. I don't know anyone in the States doing what you are doing.

Have you looked through Levin's structure papers at biotensegrity.com? You may be familiar with Myers's book "Anatomy Trains"; there is a free 20-page PDF of the first edition available at http://www.anatomytrains.com/at . Also, Tom Flemons's models at intensiondesigns.com are a great transition from abstract tensegrity models to something more closely approximating our musculoskeletal anatomy.

I blog a bit about how to think of our structure with a tensegrity model. I'm rather smitten with the idea of vicsoelastic, and the concept of loosely coupled structure:

Archimedes said: "GIve me a fulcrum, and I will move the earth!"

Floatingbones says: "Remind me that I have no fulcrums, and I can begin to move like a human being again."

I thought up that phrase about 4 months ago; it still has a profound impact on my posture.

Winston Smith said...

Thanks for the feedback. I checked Levin's site about two years ago, his work inspired me to do my own experiments. Unlike Levin, I'm far away from models representing/demonstrating parts of our actual structure. I heard abut Myers book, and checked his website, but missed out on the free booklet.

Intentiondesigns sounds familiar as well. Once I started building physical models, I lost a bit track of all sites I used to find bits of information. I plan to revisit them for the next post about tensegrity.

I hope you don't mind that I tweeted your 'fulcrum' meme. I was asked to expand my ideas about tensegrity and AT a bit more. This blog has more stories about my hands-on experiences of embodying this concept.

I just saw the tensegrity skeleton on Myers website, I still have long way to go for something like this.

Keep expanding in all directions,
Winston