Monday, March 1

Tensegrity




David offered me the opportunity to do my tensegrity workshop during our school's residential. This meant that my car was heavily loaded with plenty of light objects, sensory overload by having a variety of models was part of my plan.

I got so much used to have tensegrity models in my lounge that I nearly forgot the awe they inspire quite often on first sight. Martin hardly couldn't keep his hands off them while driving to Maitripa, and I knew that the strategy of using them as attention grabber would make the presentation part much easier.

I arranged plenty of the smaller and simpler models on the table next to the stage area, the tower and the larger sphere standing next to me. The mind map I made half a year ago laid on a table close by as well, yet I think I used it only a couple of times.



I wasn't tempted to rehearse the presentation, yet I took the chance to work in front of the group with Michael Shellshear on my nervousness about it. He helped me defining a clear goal, and suggested to have a clear beginning, middle part and end for the presentation. Finding a SMART goal wasn't easy, tensegrity offers so many ideas and connections to the work, and of course, eagerly end-gaining as I can be, I wanted to put a lot information into the workshop.

My idea was it to give the participants a more embodied understanding of tensegrity, and to learn more about the qualities of such systems in general. Yet Michael steered me into finding a single quality as focus - bounciness. I'm pretty sure he set some anchors when working with me, although I couldn't consciously describe them.



I started off with a short explanation of the origin of the term, letting my admiration for Buckminster Fuller shining through. I used the metaphor 'island of compression in a sea of tension' to describe the discontinuity of compression (we're no stack of bricks, although some people's thinking is sometimes as flexible as one).

I used to model with a similar structure, but with different tension material (rubber, ie very flexible and nylon ie very tense) to give the participants the first opportunity to play. The models nicely demonstrate expansion and contraction in all dimensions, and squeezing and pulling made the difference in mobility depending on the pretension level (golgi, I hear ya calling) obvious.

I felt quite calm and collected, the adrenaline didn't throw me off but kept me moving confidently. Before I could lose the interest of my audience by the technicalities of the minimal tensegrity system (tensul), making pauses in the verbal part allowed questions, so I could navigate along the mindmap in response to my audience.

The fun started for me when I explained the teamwork task, the 'middle' part of the workshop. I demonstrated the total collapse of a tensul from a box shape into a hodge podge of strings and sticks, and asked the participants to do the same with the models I handed them before.

I had no idea how long it would take the groups to get the models back together, I still consider even a tensul quite a challenging 3d puzzle. I could kick back a bit, observe the attempts of rebuilding with plenty of space to offer help and answer questions. The first team to succeed were Rossi and Jenny, proudly claiming to have won this friendly 'competition'. Yet, instead of simply bragging about this victory they continued to explore kinestically their little toys, while the other teams by and by caught up.

In the two presentations I held no team failed in the end, although some needed to start over a couple of times (you can connect the materials I gave them to a boxy shape which isn't a real tensul). The task kept the participants engaged and interested, and the success yielded many smiles of accomplishment.

This made it easy to get to end part of the workshop. Playing with the tensuls brought up some questions, and offered me the chance to relate the tensegrity idea to anatomy and AT work. Well, I might have stressed the similarities I suspect a bit more, but I guess I will do this workshop again. The questions were interesting, and especially the demonstrations with the shroom-tower model seems to work very well.

I took Carina's suggestion to ask everyone for a single bit they learned in that workshop, and noticed that I achieved my goal - transforming the term 'tensegrity' from a learned-sounding expression to a more lively concept.

However, in retrospect areas for improvement become more apparent. Bounciness, the initial goal, was left out a bit. I realised at home that some of models can be thrown around quite a bit without falling apart, I might use a sphere model for some contact juggling like acts, with some deliberate drops to show the bounce. Now I need to find a good backdrop to shoot some videos of models in movement (the hall I held the workshop with its beautiful Buddha statue would have been ace for that).

Luckily Ana took the photos you can see here, pictures can often tell so much more than words.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been finding tensegrity posts through filtrbox (who is ending its free service).

Excellent post and super workshop, Winston. I don't know if your students realize how lucky they are to have someone like you around. I don't know anyone in the States doing what you are doing.

Have you looked through Levin's structure papers at biotensegrity.com? You may be familiar with Myers's book "Anatomy Trains"; there is a free 20-page PDF of the first edition available at http://www.anatomytrains.com/at . Also, Tom Flemons's models at intensiondesigns.com are a great transition from abstract tensegrity models to something more closely approximating our musculoskeletal anatomy.

I blog a bit about how to think of our structure with a tensegrity model. I'm rather smitten with the idea of vicsoelastic, and the concept of loosely coupled structure:

Archimedes said: "GIve me a fulcrum, and I will move the earth!"

Floatingbones says: "Remind me that I have no fulcrums, and I can begin to move like a human being again."

I thought up that phrase about 4 months ago; it still has a profound impact on my posture.

Winston Smith said...

Hello again, I left my comment on the next post... one thing I'm considering to do is to look for schools to run this workshop.

Wow, intensiondesign has been revamped since my last visit. I guess I'll find the missing bits for my next essay about tensegrity there.

Tensegrity Wiki said...

Ditto on everything floatingbones wrote. I have been following your excellent work for a while, trying to incorporate it into the Encyclopedia of Tensegrity that is growing on the Tensegrity Wiki, here: http://tensegritywiki.com, and in the associated blog, tensegritywiki.blogspot.com. Keep it up!

Winston Smith said...

Now that's a nice synchronicity... I just stumbled upon the tensegrity wiki, and got interested in adding bits there. Once I got less distracted by my new electronic toys, I want to get into building again. Collating all sort of information how to get to more hands-on experiences make the exploration of tensegrity certainly more enjoyable and easier to access.