Thursday, March 13

Put your hands up

I woke up today to the sound of bad news - Mark F died in a diving accident on Monday. The first link I forged to this country has left this planet, and it hardly evoked emotions in me. Or rather, I hardly noticed any.

So I chose table work when having my turn with Margaret, and the thoughts about Mark's death went to the background for a while. While observing the other teachers, Kaz asked me to do some chair work with him. The connection with his hands worked really well, the movement felt a bit unsynchronised.

We observed another victim lying in semi-supine trying to make sounds as group work. Only practice enables me to know where to look - although some pattern look similar, everyone combines a multitude of minor misuse into an individual pattern.

The same things happened during the performance session. We could easily observe the effect of monitoring, and its detrimental influence to our performance. Checking one's own use needs practice, and the time required can decrease, once it becomes a habit. However, without presence the performance can not convince.

No comments: