Tuesday, February 19

Revelations

I had the pleasure of doing two turns today, I just have no idea why. The turn with Libby happened nearly like a private lesson. We went to the back room to get in and out of the chair, and I worked to eradicate my funny concept of standing. I still consider it more of a pose than an activity, which stiffens me a lot. Nevertheless, staying aware of my weight traveling through my joints into my feet can replace the idea of standing, although it's hard to inhibit the habitual thought.

I just had time for a bit of semi-supine when I had my turn with Bronwyn, still excited about something new to play with. And after I learned more about my idea of standing, she revealed to me a very comfortable position to sit in. She asked me to sit deep in the chair, sitting bones nearly at the back, so that the back of the chair could support my back slightly. It felt even more comfortable than the position of mechanical advantage, probably because we used an Alexander chair.

The reading for this week dealt with directing and ordering, a differentiation that most Alexander teachers understand idiosyncratic. However, Libby encouraged us to find our wording (and range) of directions - no golden bullet for directing oneself exists, as students differ the teacher have to find the best approach always individually.

No comments: