Wednesday, February 13

Twisted

I try my best to start school on time, which usually means that I have my turn in the first round, this time again with Jeremy. It went wilder than usual, as Jeremy twisted me around, leading me into some awkward positions. Doing this prevented me easily from anticipating his moves, and felt more like remote control.

I observed some sore sensation around the teres muscles, which might indicate an release in this area (or overuse during yesterdays Wing Chun session). The scapula can move a bit more around, something that I notice usually after some minutes of semi-supine.

The turn helped me in identifying the moving parts during walking, the slight rotation of the lumbar region, counteracted by swinging the contralateral arm, and slightly turning the head ipsilateral to the moving leg. Knowing which parts move where didn't lead straight away to a more natural gait, Jenny's directions to keep the thoracic region above the hip, keeping the hip as part of the back back worked a bit better.

As the lower part of the body feels a bit disconnected, I still start walking with my hips leading. We looked with David in the group closer at walking, and the relation of ankles, knees and hips. I noticed some subtle head movement while just thinking about moving the legs, and the temptation to regain the familiar feel of walking by throwing the shoulders back and shifting the hips forward. Straight walking feels at the moment a lot like falling, so I better focus on my directions while walking and ignore the faulty sensory appreciation for a while.

The anatomy session dealt with the scientific terms for directions and joint types. Jeremy played little games to deepen our understanding and use of this terms, which made the session really enjoyable. I realised that my idea of the location of the heart had nothing to do with its actual position... luckily we don't need to direct our hearts.

No comments: